Communication and Economic Growth.
Series/Report no.Cahier de recherche #9620
- [JEL:O40] Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - General
- [JEL:L96] Industrial Organization - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - Telecommunications
- [JEL:B10] Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - History of Economic Thought through 1927 - General
- [JEL:O40] Développement économique, changement technologique et croissance - Croissance économique et productivité agrégée - Généralités
- [JEL:L96] Organisation Industrielle - Études industrielles: équipement et transport - Télécommunications
- [JEL:B10] Méthodologie et histoire de la pensée économique - Histoire de la pensée économique jusqu'en 1925 - Généralités
Overs the past millennium, each of the three centuries of most rapid demographic growth in the West Coincided with the diffusion of a new communications technology. This paper examines the hypothesis of Harold Innis (1894-1952) that there is two-way feeback between such innovations and economic growth.
Dudley, L., «Communication and Economic Growth.», Cahier de recherche #9620, Département de sciences économiques, Université de Montréal, 1996, 29 pages.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Blum, Ulrich; Dudley, Léonard (2001)Evidence of falling wages in Catholic cities and rising wages in Protestant cities between 1500 and 1750, during the spread of literacy in the vernacular, is inconsistent with most theoretical models of economic growth. ...
Castro, Rui (2005)How does openness affect economic development? This question is answered in the context of a dynamic general equilibrium model of the world economy, where countries have technological differences that are both sector-neutral ...
Fortin, N.M.; Lemieux, T. (1996)In this paper, we model the interactions between the distribution of male and female wages under the assumption that any change in the wage distribution of women must be offset by an opposite change in the wage distribution ...